Wednesday, October 7, 2009

careful what you work towards

So I got a notice from the city that my 'converted graded score for the eligibility list' is a 91.
I think this is good. My mother has a colleague who's husband is a career firefighter and she thinks that score will put me in the first tier of applicants. For the next year I'm on a list that they will call in on a rolling basis. I know I can pass a physical. We'll see about the arrest record.
 As a chimney sweep you see every corner of the city and from just about  every angle. There is  constant driving from job to job because most 'sweeps' take about an hour. Sometimes there are longer projects like a chimney liner or rebuild but usually we will go from horse country to the ghetto and back again in a day. Because we work from the basement to the roof at any given house cleaning the flu(s) etc.. we get a really intimate view of the way people live. So, whether we're riding thru a rough part of town or pinching our cheeks on %70 graded slate roof to install copper gutters, or crawling over boxes of memorabilia to reach a furnace, I'm now in constant EMT-Fireman fantasy mode. I'm involuntarily taking the scenery around me and visualizing all hell breaking lose. The fat lady in the moo-moo watching me vacuum the chimney damper becomes an inert epileptic with a blazing floor joist about to crush her or the junkie dipping around the corner (one of hundreds we drive by every day) is going to be the guy I scrape off of the street and into an ambulance because his jaw was blown off with a 357 magnum. I wonder if I'll throw up? Probably.
Hey, how is the 'Design sponge' thing working out? If well, then I know your psychotically busy and writing an e-mail is the last thing on your list.  And I looked up earwigs....nasty.
ps Let me design the earwig 'tattoo' that goes on your arm for the wine label.

No comments:

Post a Comment